These are some of the current issues that we have been addressing, and /or that our members are active on.
As well as the links below, our Peace Round-up gives pointers to other sources.
- We seek to raise awareness of the current opportunities for promoting action on nuclear disarmament, focusing on the UK’s nuclear weapons in particular and on international efforts to ban nuclear weapons.
We draw on the activities of other groups working to this end, such as those linked with ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear weapons) in the UK, and the Network of Christian Peace Organisations.
- Links to related organisations
- The presence and involvement of armed forces in schools, and in other places and activities that are particularly aimed at children and young people is very problematic.
- Quakers are active with others in raising awareness of the policies and practice behind the growth in militarisation and seek to act and to support those taking action on these concerns.
- Some relevant links: Forces Watch, Quakers in Britain, Child Soldiers International , Peace Pledge Union, Veterans for Peace UK, War Resisters International.
NFPB members are active in national and local campaigns. In particular, during 2019 a number joined with other Friends in taking action and witnessing at the DSEI arms fair in early September. Roots of Resistance provided information, resources and support for this Quaker action.
In June 2020, Quakers from across Europe will be witnessing at the Eurosatory arms fair near Paris. See Stop Fuelling War
For information and resources about the arms trade and about local and national campaigning activities visit In Campaign Against Arms Trade
We have been involved in promoting the Global Campaign on Military Spending (GCOMS), an international initiative of the International Peace Bureau and other groups. The campaign encourages action particularly during April each year, the Global Days of Action on Military Spending (GDAMS). A statement for the 2019 GDAMS is here