These are some of the current issues that we have been addressing, and /or that our members are active on.
As well as the links below, our Peace Round-up gives pointers to other sources.
- We seek to raise awareness of the current opportunities for promoting action on nuclear disarmament, focusing on the UK’s nuclear weapons in particular and on international efforts to ban nuclear weapons.
We draw on the activities of other groups working to this end, such as those linked with ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear weapons) in the UK, and the Network of Christian Peace Organisations.
- Links to related organisations
- Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) – information and news on the ban treaty
- Take Action
- Talks not Bombs – CND campaign to get the UK to attend TPNW Conference in June 2022
- ICAN Cities Appeal
- Letter-writing ideas and support from CND and Scottish CND
- Contact your bank or other finance body about links to nuclear weapons: Information from Nuclear Weapons Finance Research Group and Don’t Bank on the Bomb Scotland
- Nuclear weapons convoys: download our leaflet for Quakers on these
- Call on your local council to support the Nuclear Ban Treaty
- Support the UK activities of the Global Campaign on Military Spending
- The presence and involvement of armed forces in schools, and in other places and activities that are particularly aimed at children and young people is very problematic.
- Quakers are active with others in raising awareness of the policies and practice behind the growth in militarisation and seek to act and to support those taking action on these concerns.
- Some relevant links: Forces Watch, Quakers in Britain, Peace Pledge Union, Veterans for Peace UK, War Resisters International.
NFPB members are active in national and local campaigns. In particular, during 2019 a number joined with other Friends in taking action and witnessing at the DSEI arms fair in early September that year and again in September 2021, coordinated and supported by Quaker Roots.
For information and resources about the arms trade and about local and national campaigning activities visit In Campaign Against Arms Trade
We are actively involved in developing and promoting the Global Campaign on Military Spending (GCOMS) in the UK, an international initiative of the International Peace Bureau and other groups.
The campaign encourages action particularly during April each year.
Read this recent briefing on UK military spending (February 2021)
Arms Conversion/Defence Diversification
We are part of a network that promotes arms conversion /defence diversification in different settings. See, for example:
- From Campaign Against Arms Trade – Arms to Renewables, and Diversifying our Economy
- From Scientists for Global Responsibility – Defence diversification: international learning for Trident jobs
- From the blogs of Medact and Rethinking Security