When early March snow prevented our members’ meeting that month from going ahead, trustees agreed to plan one or more additional NFPB events. The first of these was held in Huddersfield on 14th April, with local Friends joining in and providing warm hospitality to the approximately 18 participants. A second will take place in Lancaster on 12th May.
Our Huddersfield gathering began as we were beginning to get news of the missile strikes against Syria that previous night. This was much in our minds throughout the day. With new members joining us, we reflected on our past year’s activities and participants shared news, reflections and information on a range of peace concerns, focussing on nurturing the roots of peace as well as the bigger issues of militarism. From acts of witness against arms trade to promoting dialogue in our communities, we heard of challenges as well as creative and inpsiring responses.
In thinking about how Friends can best be supported in taking action for peace, participants talked of the vital importance of linking with others, knowing that we don’t have to do it all. Persistence is important – we never know when a significant breakthrough may come – and we must continue to explore ways of making it easy for people to find information and resources that will enable them to take action.
Links to some of the information and resources shared during the day are given below.
- QPSW briefing calling on the government to take part in the United Nations high-level international conference on nuclear disarmament from May 14 to 16, 2018 https://quaker-prod.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/store/5b2d6dc05eaf1f3b7b8dfcedad0ba939f7c119e022d8fc2412356f4d7d0b
- Don’t Bank on the Bomb – 2018 report – https://www.dontbankonthebomb.com/2018-report/
- NAE NUKES ANYWHERE! International Rally at Faslane 22nd September – http://www.nuclearban.scot/nae-nukes-anywhere-international-rally-at-faslane-22nd-september/
- Stop Fuelling War – Quaker witness at the Eurosatory arms fair, Paris, 11-15 June 2018 https://stopfuellingwar.org/en/
- West Yorkshire Campaign Against Arms Trade https://www.facebook.com/WestYorkshireCAAT/
- Report of vigil at MBDA weapons factory near Bolton http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/bolton/16119231.Silent_anti_war_protest_outside_weapons_factory/
- Arms to Renewables https://www.caat.org.uk/campaigns/arms-to-renewables
- Information about conscription and Conscientious Objection in Israel https://www.wri-irg.org/en/programmes/world_survey/reports/Israel
- Veterans for Peace UK – http://vfpuk.org/
- Take Action on Militarism resource pack – https://www.quaker.org.uk/our-work/peace/challenging-militarism-1#heading-1
- Collateral Damage: A project for Remembrance 2018 – http://ppu.org.uk/collateral-damage/index.html
- No Faith in Fracking – nr Blackpool, 23-27 April 2018 https://www.facebook.com/events/603770453295358/
- Rethinking Security national conference – 15th June https://www.quaker.org.uk/events/rethinking-security-national-conference